The Column’s (also known as the facade of the First National Bank) is located next to the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, the former First National Bank, now The Column’s opened in 1926.
The architect of the bank J.A. Dempwolf of York, PA, inspired by the Roman Temple at Cori, used the columns that line the front of the bank, a triangular pediment that rests atop the columns, and the use of rich granite as building material. The design of the interior reflects the Italian Renaissance, and is built on a monumental scale: fifty-six feet wide, one hundred feet long, with a ceiling forty feet high.
On the ceiling are fifty-two hand pained panels depicting Roman and modern coins and allegorical figures representing commerce and finance. Along the walls, there are murals by Gustave Ketterer that depict modes of transportation from 1825 to 1925.