The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, located in Cathedral Square, was begun in 1924, and designed by George L. Lovett of Philadelphia. However, the Great Depression and World War II halted construction until 1959, when construction was overseen by Alfred D. Reid.
When construction resumed, the style of the exterior was maintained, but the interior was ornamented with aluminum, glass and marble.
An interesting feature of the Cathedral is the set of statues that flank the entrance. They are two American saints, St. John Neumann (Angel of Immigrants, left) and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Angel of the Schools, right).